The Voice

The Student News Site of St. Stephen's and St. Agnes School

The Voice

The Voice

Op/Ed: The Support of JV Sports

During Morning Meeting you have probably heard a lot of game announcements. A lot of them have been from JV players. There have been times when this player, who is typically a freshman, would say a funny theme and the crowd would laugh. Almost always, they say “show out” at the end of their announcement. This means to come and watch the games, but people rarely ever do. 

During my time on JV and the games that I have gone to, I know that little to no students ever show out to JV games. One example of this was last year when JV Baseball went on an amazing run to win the IAC Championship with wins against great teams like St. Alban’s and Georgetown Prep, whom they had not beaten in ten years. After a great season, the only people in the stands were the JV players’ parents and some of the varsity players. Another example is this year’s Seminary Hill Cup where the only team from SSSAS to win was the girls’ JV soccer team, yet they didn’t gain much praise or recognition for their win. My point is that most JV players love the game just as much as the varsity players and try just as hard but have little to no recognition for their efforts. Our school can change this. 

This Winter, everyone is going to be at the annual Sleepy Thompson Basketball Tournament. Hopefully, there can also be some of this support at the JV boys and girls basketball games. Realistically, JV will not get packed out crowds to the point where people have nowhere to sit, like during Sleepy, but some support would be nice. 

In my interview with JV boys basketball player, Jonah Wagner, he said that his team has big goals this season and expectations for their fans. He recalled that last year’s team lost in the finals and this year the team is going to try to do what they couldn’t last year and win it all. He said that he enjoys it when friends come to games and he gets to feel support from them specifically. Also, he said that he expects both students and faculty to show their Saints pride at their games this season. He recognized that away games would not be easy for anyone to go to but said that that shouldn’t stop the support they can get at home games. He brought up a good point that by faculty showing up to games saying that they can set a good example for the students to show and continue their support for the JV teams. 

Then I interviewed Saints eighth grader Khing Terrell who is also on the JV boys basketball team. He said that “there is a lot of great talent on JV,” and that it is “an opportunity for them to showcase what they can do.” He said that if a student has an opportunity then they might as well just stop by and show their support, especially if you have a friend on the team. He also said that he feels the faculty does a great job at showing up to games and he feels well-supported by them. This season he believes the team will play hard and that “the fans will be right there behind us” showing their support and ended the interview by saying that they would win the IAC and for the students to come and support their journey. 

Then I interviewed the coach of the JV boys basketball team DuJuan Pickett who gave a new perspective on JV sports. He talked about his JV team last year and how “JV basketball last year went undefeated at home and made it to the championship game” but that “it wasn’t mentioned much” and how “those student-athletes are working hard for those accomplishments and I think they should be recognized.” Then he talked about the support of both students and faculty saying there is “nothing better than seeing or hearing your friends/classmates cheering you on.” For the faculty, he said that “it feels good to the athletes when they see their teachers/faculty members in the crowd supporting them.” After this, he talked about the season and brought up a great point about how this season should be viewed, “I expect a great season and that’s not predicated on wins or losses. More so on playing the right way, growing/learning within the sport, and having fun doing it. As far as fan support, I would love to see more but I’m not complaining. I appreciate everyone who takes time out of their day to come support us.”

You have opportunities all year to go and support JV sports. This Winter, JV basketball is one of those opportunities. Basketball is a competitive, entertaining, and great sport to watch. As you have heard through my interviews, they want your support and will not disappoint when you stop by since they are willing to work hard and bring home an IAC Championship. Both faculty and students should come to a game if they can to see these talented JV players showcase their skills.