Spirit Week

Spirit Week

It’s that time again:Spirit Week! During the past few weeks, SSSAS has hosted Spirit Weeks for 2 major events that have been going on on our school campus: Homecoming and Seminary Hill Cup! Students have dressed up head to toe based on the specific theme for each of the days – themes include PJs, Dress Like Your Type, Wacky tacky, Zoom on top/casual on bottom and many more. These fun themed days allow students to wear something out of their comfort zone in a fun, comfortable and quirky way.

Some students choose to express themselves during Spirit Week, and others choose to stay shy and not dress up. Sometimes it’s because they don’t have anything in their wardrobe for that specific day, they don’t like any of the themes, or they just simply don’t feel like dressing up. We sent out an anonymous google form to the student body asking what their favorite themes were and why.

These were the results for Homecoming Spirit Week:

1. Pajama day – 31.1%
  2. Decades day – 29.5%
  3. Anything but a backpack day – 27.9%
  4. Beach day (hoco theme) – 8.2%
  5. Wacky tacky – 3.3%

Surprisingly, Pajama Day was the most favored by students. Although it is not the most creative theme, many students said they enjoyed it because it was the least stressful and the most comfortable. While Pajama Day will always remain a classic Spirit Week theme, one anonymous senior argued that it’s starting to become boring. They responded, “We gotta chill with pajama days they really aren’t that interesting just make it regular dress down.” The second most favored theme was Decades Day with each class having a different decade to dress up as: Freshman as 80’s, Sophomores as 90’s, Juniors as 2000’s, and Seniors wearing togas. When we asked why students enjoyed Decades Day, many of them said they felt like a lot of people actually participated, and enjoyed seeing everyones outfits. The third most favored theme was Anything But a Backpack Day. It was fun for everyone to see what their classmates and teachers were carrying their stuff in. Some students went simple with tote bags and luggages, while others went all out – bringing huge shelfs, strollers, and even going as far as bringing a tent and a Christmas tree!

These were the results for Seminary Hill Cup Spirit Week:

1. Zoom Day (chapel dress from the waist up, dress down from the waist down) – 36.1%
  2. Dress Like Your Type – 29.5%
  3. Pajama Day – 16.4%
  4. Western/Gold Rush – 13.1%
  5. Green and Gold Dress Down Day – 4.9%

After all, there is no surprise that Zoom Day was favored by the student body – many students took it as a free dress down day. When we asked students why this day was their favorite, many of them said it was because it was relatable, unique, and it was fun to have a spirit day on chapel. The second most favored spirit day was to Dress Like Your Type. When we asked students why this day was their favorite, many of them said because it was the most hilarious out of all the days and they also enjoyed seeing everyone’s outfits. Although numerous students enjoyed the theme, other students had different opinions about it. One anonymous sophomore expressed, “Dress like your type was such a mid theme, whoever came up with that should be fired.” 

We also asked students to tell us themes they would like to see in the future. Here were some of their ideas:

• Adam Sandler day (most popular response)
  • Jersey day/sports day (popular response)
  • DMV day (multiple responses)
  • Full-on sports uniform (Pads, hat/helmet, bat, club, etc.)
  • Twin day (multiple responses)
  • Favorite celebrity/character (popular response)
  • Dress like your advisor
  • Teachers dress like students, students dress like teachers
  • Dress like senior citizens (popular response)
  • Country (upper-classmen) vs country club (lower-classmen)
  • Sunday best/full-out church day
  • Dress for the movies vs dress for a movie premiere

All and all, students are always excited to see when the next Spirit Week will be – hopefully some of the students’ theme ideas come to play when deciding the next themes of the Spirit Week!