Dr McDaniels Teacher Profile

Dr. McDaniels is the Associate Director of the Upper School and a 10th grade chemistry teacher. You might see her on the way to chapel or getting your lunch. To some she’s just another teacher, but to me, she’s my inspiration. She’s tough on her students and often pushes them to their limits, but she cares so much about all the kids in this school. I met her in 8th grade and since then she’s been such a role model to me and many others. She gets on me when I’m slacking off or wandering the halls and she always tells me to stop bringing my blanket, but she’s also so compassionate and I know that she cares so much about me. She is so smart and such a leader in our school and I am so sad she will not be returning for the 2023-2024 school year. Even though I’ve only known her for a year, she has left such a lasting impact on my life and she motivates me so much.  I can see myself following her advice well after high school and college. 

Did you always want to teach?

No, I wanted to be a research chemist. 

Why did you stop being a research chemist?

Because I took an opportunity to teach and I realized I was good at it and I liked it

What drew you to teaching chemistry?

Because my background is chemistry. Its my Education and its my passion

What path led you to an administrative position?

so, I started teaching at the collegiate level. From there, I was seeing traits and behaviors in students that worried me. So I began to think about how I could have more impact on my college students. so from there i took an opportunity to teach in secondary education. I started with grade 7, 8 and 11th. Classes I taught were earth science in 7th, physical science in 8th, and AP chem in 11th. So that May I had an opportunity to teach middle school and high school students and instill behaviors and traits that would benefit them when they reached college.

What drew you to an independent school environment?

I don’t have a teaching certificate. So therefore, I was unable to immediately start teaching at a secondary level whereas at Independent school that was not the case.

What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your job?

My favorite part is that I get to work with all the faculty. My least favorite is all the paperwork.

I mentioned that you motivated me a lot in my life; who motivates you?

My kids and my husband but if i have to think about initially it would have to be my father. My father is very about the business and I can look at the path that he’s taken through his career and see the upside of that path.

What are you looking forward to at your new job?

I have a head of upper school position at Sandy Spring Friends School. I’m looking forward to being more involved in the path that helps you shape the upper school. 

Sandy Spring Friends School is far, near Baltimore. Will you be driving there or are you moving?

Sandy Spring Friends School is in between Baltimore and DC and I will be living on campus. They have boarding students so I will be living there.

What will you miss most about this school?

I’ll miss the very strong friendships I’ve made with many colleagues, I’ll miss hearing the senior chapel talks, I’ll miss hanging out with students in my office, and I’ll miss seeing my chemistry students.

What advice do you have for students?

Do what’s right when people are looking and do what’s right when people aren’t looking. 

What made you choose that piece of advice?

Because that talks about your moral character. 

Dr McDaniels’ Final Advice: Never be afraid of change.